Contractor and/or Trade License Requirements
License Application Information
Licenses and applications for contractors, tradesmen, and apprentices are available through Public Works. To apply online or download an application, see all available licenses and permits.
General Contractor License Requirements
General contractor license requirements are established by county resolution.
- Pottawatomie County accepts the following licenses: Commercial (A), Combination (B), Residential (C).
- The applicant must provide proof of a minimum score of 75% on the Prometric or International Code Council.
- The applicant must also provide proof of a commercial general liability insurance policy with minimum limits of $500,000 for each occurrence and $500,000 general aggregate.
- Apply for a general contractor's license
Trade License/Apprentice Requirements
- Trade license applicants must provide proof of a minimum exam score of 75%.
- Test applicants for Journeyman must have 2 years of practical experience.
- Test applicants for Master must have 4 years of practical experience. Master Electricians must first be a Journeyman Electrician for 2 of the 4 years.
- Apply for a trade license registration
- Apply for an apprentice registration
General contractors may also test with the International Code Council (ICC). To schedule with them, please call 877-234-6082 or visit the ICC website.
Twelve (12) hours of approved continuing education is required to renew plumbing, gas, mechanical and electrical licenses. The hours shall be submitted at the time of renewal and must have been acquired during the two years prior to renewal; six of the hours are to be code book related. Good websites to view classes are Kansas PHCC and www.wichita.gov.